(*This post has affiliated links, this means I could make commission off purchases made through links at no extra charge to you.)
Hello mamas (and mamas-to-be)!
I’ve been thinking hard about this post because I want to include something that will help you all out!! I tried things that didn’t work for my babe that may work for yours, so I will include it all. I highly recommend buying items secondhand or borrowing from friends because when trying out different items it can get expensive! Also, if this is your first babe and you’re still registering, don’t be afraid to register for different brands/styles because what you think is awesome, your baby might not.
- Velcro Swaddles. I registered for these SwaddleMe ones but no matter how many times I tried, my babe did not care for them or easily escaped. My sister-in-law let me borrow a Halo Sleepsack Swaddle and it worked like a dream. I think my Houdini just needed the tighter swaddle (here’s a non-fleece option).
- Swaddle Blankets. I work as a nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, so I am no rookie when it comes to swaddling babes. I thought we’d be set with some swaddle blankets but my child didn’t like to be swaddled (insert face palm). I liked this brand from Target, but I know a lot of people are Aden & Anais fans.
- Boppy. Now if you know me in real life, you’d also know that for YEARS I’ve voiced my dislike for these pillows. Again, working where I do, I didn’t see the point in this pillow where a normal pillow would do the same thing. Then I had a baby and realized this boppy pillow SAVED MY BACK when breastfeeding! I’ve heard good things about My Brest Friend pillows as well but my boppy worked just fine. 🙂
- Rock ‘n’ Play. This little machine was a life saver! The one I linked is SmartConnect equipped, which means you have an app on your phone that lets you turn on or change the options of the vibration, music, rocking, or projection! My babe would nap in this for probably the first 3-4 months!
- Hatch Baby Rest. This is a sound machine, night-light and a ok-to-wake clock! Again, it’s connected to an app on your phone, where you can set favorites and set programs. There are 11 sounds and 10 colors to choose from, along with a “custom” option for color.
- Bum Brush. This one is just genius, no more diaper creams making your fingers smell or under your nails!
- Sleepers. For girls, boys, or neutral Carter’s is a fan favorite! We also liked these Cloud Island ones from Target because the had dual zippers so you could unzip from the bottom for easy diaper changes!
- Burp Cloths. Again I really liked these Cloud Island ones from Target but I also made some of my own. My babe was a bit of a puker for the first 4 months of her life so in a pinch I ordered these from Amazon and wasn’t disappointed! They were cute and did the job! My best friend really loved these Aden and Anais ones
- Bibs. Babies drool, and even when they aren’t teething. If you get a magical unicorn baby who doesn’t drool, I’m so jealous of you but for everyone else we LOVED the bandana bibs!
- Play Mat. There’s so many out there to choose from, we got this one from Skip Hop and my babe loved it for tummy time and also when she was more interactive and reach for the hanging toys.
- Pack ‘n’ Play or Playard. Whatever you call it, it’s still a must have! We have a two-story house so we set ours up in the dining room. Convenient diaper changes with the changing table and also naps, haha jk my baby doesn’t nap but if yours does a great option! Also nice for traveling! There’s also a bassinet insert that is perfect to use in your room if you’re planning on having your babe room-in with you!
- Car Seat. I wanted to keep this list a home essentials list but being a nurse (and car seat educator) I need to do a plug for car seats. Make sure you’re looking at the seat in the store. Just remember, the ones where the straps are adjusted behind the seats are very hard to do with a baby inside whereas the ones with the latch belt in front makes for easy strap adjustments.
*Straps should be at or below the baby’s shoulders and tighten so you’re unable to pinch the strap more than an inch, don’t add anything to your seat and no bulky jackets!!!
Did I miss anything? Comment below what worked for you!